Roll up your sleeves, put on your pinny, and learn how to make the most indulgent, no-bake brownies with the healthy baking queen, Olivia Woolenberg of Livia’s Kitchen.
Ahead of our in-store event with Livia’s Kitchen we asked (okay, begged) Olivia to share the recipe for this gooey, gluten and dairy-free, guilt-free treat. And, like the star that she is, she shared this delicious raw date and cacao powder brownie recipe.
Not only do they taste incredible, they are the perfect little pick-me-up for anyone embarking on Veganuary, or like Olivia, practicing a gluten or dairy-free diet.
”Before I was diagnosed with intolerances chocolate brownies were always my go-to afternoon snack. I was devastated when I had to cut out dairy and gluten as I thought I would never be able to have brownies again.
”But then I discovered how to make raw brownies with 100% natural ingredients, and I really think that these are better than any other brownie I have ever had. You really are going to love these!”
What you’ll need
- Brownie tray
- Electric mixer
For the brownie
- 200g raw hazelnuts
- 300g pitted soft medjool dates
- 5 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100g chopped hazelnuts
For the frosting
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons slightly melted raw coconut oil
How it’s made
- Line a brownie tray with baking paper.
- Start off by making the brownie. Whizz the first 200g of raw hazelnuts in a food processor until a fine, flour-like substance is formed.
- Add all the other brownie ingredients, except for the chopped hazelnuts, to the food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, well mixed and sticky. (The dates should be really soft and sticky before use. Let them soak in hot water for 10 minutes to soften them before using if they are a little too firm).
- Finally mix in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Place the brownie mixture into the prepared tray and smooth the mix out across the tray so that it is approximately 1cm thick. Set this aside.
- To make the frosting, add all the frosting ingredients to a food processor and process until the mix is smooth and creamy. Ensure that there are no chunks of avocado left!
- Spread the frosting thickly over the brownie.
- Leave to set in the fridge for 20-30 minutes—then serve!
Calling all cooks, bakers and tasty-food makers. Find everything you need to kit out your kitchen here.