As springtime looms and the world around us begins to blossom, good spirits abound! To celebrate the warmer weather, longer days (all praise the sunshine!) and general prettiness of spring’s arrival, we’ll be serving up our most floral cocktails to date. Fragrant and tasty in equal measures, the delicate balances of our latest concoctions are the perfect place to let classic spirits shine. First in the series? A French 75 with a marigold twist.
What you’ll need
For the syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dried marigold leaves
For the tea
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried marigold leaves
For the cocktail
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce marigold syrup
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 ounces marigold tea
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
How it’s made
- Add all ingredients for the syrup to a small saucepan and gently bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a slow simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, let cool and strain.
- Bring water for the tea to a boil and pour over the marigold leaves in a heat-safe container. Allow to steep for 10-12 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, marigold syrup and thyme to the bottom of a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add tea, gin and plenty of ice. Shake well.
- Strain into glass and top with a splash of champagne.
Fancy another floral tipple? Why not try our bachelor’s button cocktail.