There are certain Christmas staples our friends across the pond do oh so well, and we’re not afraid to adopt them. What’s our latest festive import you ask? Eggnog. Now, we know this one’s an oldie but its taste-of-heaven-in-a-glass powers mean that we over-indulge every year. This Christmas, we’ve come up with an eggnog recipe (minus the usual calorie count), that leaves a little leeway for a Christmas pudding splurge. Upgrade this cocktail with kefir milk, add a glug of bourbon, and bring this taste of Christmas into sipping rotation.
What you'll need
- 3 cups organic kefir
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg + extra for garnish
- 3 ounces bourbon
How it’s made
- Separate the eggs. Place egg whites in a separate bowl and leave aside. Beat egg yolks with a mixer until they lighten in colour, then add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the kefir and nutmeg to a low boil. Remove from heat and gradually temper the hot kefir into the egg yolks. Return the mixture to the pot and cook until it reaches 160 °F/71 °C, or coats the back of a spoon. Then remove from the heat and stir in bourbon. Chill mixture in the refrigerator.
- Return back to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture and pour into a glass. Sprinkle with fresh nutmeg and serve.
More Christmas sips, tips, nibbles & DIYs right this way.